Monday, September 17, 2012

Doubt and Existence

by Barbie Barlocher

13 September 2012

Discussed text: Rene Descartes, Meditations on the First Philosophy

Rene Descartes’ methological doubt has paved the way for the sciences. He also started the movement towards modern philosophy. Heck, he actually helped create a lot of things such as the Cartesian plane. But quite frankly, I am totally utterly confused by Descartes and his philosophy.

Rene Descartes was quite an ambitious fellow, really. He thought that he can separate what was real from what is not by observing a method which we call methological doubt. This means everything that is not certain is subjected to doubt and is therefore set aside. In a way, it’s like starting your very own framework of knowledge with absolutely nothing on it. So, in order to achieve absolute certainty, we must first doubt everything we know. What can we not doubt then? If everything we perceive is subjected to our interpretation and our own perception of it, is the thing which we perceive just a construct of our own imagination (considering our perception of things is prone to error)? With that way of thinking, Rene Descartes proves that thing that can only be absolutely certainly real and that is the self. Since he is able to think and ask of all of these things, there must be something capable of posing these questions and therefore ‘he’ exists. The ‘he’ in this situation should not be confused with the human body as Descartes separates that which is the body from the mind, which is known as the dualistic view of the human person.

Most if not all of us has faced a situation which caused us to doubt its reality. As for me, I usually end up questioning reality every time I wake up from a nightmare or a particularly good dream. It’s because I feel as if my mind is separated from my physical body whenever I dream. While I dream, everything I experience in it feels real and it is only when I wake up that I notice something peculiar in them. Inception is a science fiction movie that deals with these same ideas.



The main quest of Leonardo DiCaprio in Inception is to go into someone’s dream to extract information from them or to create an idea in their mind as they are dreaming. In the end of it all, we are made to question if whatever is shown indeed reality or if they are still stuck within a dream.

All that aside, I think that it is in doubting that we are able to understand. It is in questioning that we are able to ask ourselves important questions. And, it is in thinking that we are able to prove something to ourselves. By quoting Descartes, I can say that because I thought about all of these I exist.

1 comment:

  1. When Doc G first introduced Descartes' methodic doubt, a part of me doubted Descartes himself. More clearly, I doubted his need to doubt everything. How could he have satisfied any of his physiological needs if food nor water nor clothing existed to him? Although my argument is shallow in comparison to Descartes' doubt of the more profound things in life, I believe it was sound. When Doc G then revealed that Descartes was aware of the difficulty in doubting every little thing and still managed a normal life, I felt relieved. More importantly, I felt inclined to give methodic doubt a shot. Reflecting on this I realized the doubt Descartes adhered to is the same doubt I practice in my faith.

    Coming from a Catholic high school, I used to be certain of my beliefs, not because of any indubitable revelation but solely because I feared the repercussions of uncertainty. It was not uncommon to hear that believers went to heaven and non-believers went somewhere else. However, after TH121 in first year I learned the value of questioning my faith in order to let it grow. As Ricoeur puts it, there's a non-believer in every believer. Sometimes we must hear him/her out. Since then I've allowed myself to doubt, question and criticize, all in hope of desiring God. :)


    Justine Dinglasan
    PH101-A

    ReplyDelete