Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Book That Changed My View

by Trixia Tan

The importance of words to existing is changing our individual points of view in life, transforming us and opening ourselves to the reality of the different perspectives in the world.

One book that changed my point of view in life and that inevitably changed me was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. For those of you that have never read it, I truly recommend this book. It is a story retelling the life of a maintenance man in a fashion wherein his heroic death was the first narration, following that of the five people whose lives he inevitably crossed with or changed.

In this novel, we can truly see that life is not just as we see it.  It is not just like how we think that we are alone, and that our lives aren’t intertwined with each other. The author explicitly illustrated how Eddie’s life was intertwined with the child he saved, but then, with the Blue Man, the first person Eddie met, we can see that through small actions in our lives, we affect people and we affect our environment, no matter what. We are part of the community and in a way; we have a responsibility to be aware of this.

The second person Eddie met was his former captain in the army. His captain saved him in the war, but it also changed him because his Captain shot him in the leg to prevent him from reaching through the shadow he saw in the fire that he set, giving him his lifelong injury and ending his dream of living outside the confines of Ruby Pier where he worked as a maintenance man almost all his life, making him a somewhat bitter and lonely old man. This lead me to think of the reality of a single choice existing as more than just a choice, but something that truly influences us and the people around us to action.

Next was the owner of the carnival, the namesake of the carnival, he worked at for so long. He wasn’t able to exist at the same time with Ruby; however, his life is inevitably changed through her life. Making the historical distinction or interconnection of out lives more prominent. Ascertaining the reality that we are all interconnected in this world, no matter how long the past has passed or how far the future will go. We presently exist and our existence creates many differences in others’ existence. In illustration, life is just like a pool, wherein when one jumps in, waves are made throughout the whole pool. Ripples of these waves reach the end of the pool, its intensity dwindles into something that might seem nothing, but is really something present.

The fourth person that Eddie met was his wife who taught him that love is not loss after death. This is a great affirmation that the things we value in life, the things that we portray can never be loss with just the loss of our body on earth. We are still part of the on-going world, this might not be through physical existence, but through the values that we leave, through the influences that we bring, or even through small choices we have. We can affirm that we have existed.

Lastly, Eddie met Tala, the girl that he wasn’t able to save in the fire. He was filled with guilt for so long, but then Tala made him see that there is a purpose for his life, that his life is not meaningless. Giving me a glimpse of the importance and the more-ness of our individual actions.

The world might seem vast, but it is through this vastness that we can also say that it is small. Have you ever seen a person and realized that you’ve met that person’s brother/sister or any other relative? This just gives you an insight of how small the world really is. How interconnected we really are.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving a clear example of how a text, or a book can change us. You've also been able to show how mimesis I, II, III work together by giving your own text on Mitch Albom's book. I really like your last point in saying that we are all interconnected in this world that seems vast, but in this vastness is also small. I really believe that today we live in a wold without borders. It's so easy for one to move around and to communicate his or her ideas through traveling or through the use of the internet. I'd just like to end my comment by saying once again we are all connected beings sharing our own lives or narratives with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About your point on interconnected-ness: I want to share what physicist Brian Cox said about this (it's just a 1:42 minute video)

    Quoting him: (which can serve as a summary, I guess)
    "This shift of the configuration of the electrons inside the diamond has consequences, because the sum total of all the electrons of the universe must respect Pauli. Therefore, every electron around every atom in the universe must be shifting as I heat the diamond up, to make sure that none of them end up in the same energy level. When I heat this diamond up, all the electrons in the universe instantly but imperceptibly change their energy levels. So everything is connected to everything else.”

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4I-f34cTI#t=28

    Alec Abarro (A)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting that there are some people who think that books, specifically the genre fiction, are a waste of time. Ironically, fiction books show something that the real can never give, that is imagination and insight in life. In fact, this can be shown in the three-fold mimesis. In mimesis 1, the person only has his lived experience. However in mimesis 2, the perspective of the person and the imaginary world collides. After the encounter, mimesis 3 happens. This is when the change happens and the person is never quite the same again. We can also relate this with secondary reflection, because the person will change after thinking of his experience.
    John Luciano A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really fascinating how the world truly is a small world and I do agree that we are truly all interconnected. I think that this is precisely what philosophy helps us recognize - that we are in all beings-in-the-world-with-others. Also this "interconnectedness" reflects the every order of things as we all recognize our place amidst this vast world. It is the awareness that our very existence will never be that of a singularity but that of a mutuality where we exist in this world with others who also strive to be human. Thus, knowing this, we also come to recognize that our actions are indeed like ripples in a pond as every human action has consequences beyond ourselves, what we do will always affect others around us. Furthermore, I would just like to add that in this interconnectedness of man, we too come to realize our very selves as no made is self-made. The very people we have encountered in our lives ultimately contribute to the formation of our individual selves.

    Frenchi Baluyot (A)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not an avid book reader, but this book was one of the few books I've read. It had an interesting story, and is a worthwhile read, although I've forgotten most of the things about the book by now. It's nice and interesting to see your point of view on things and it made me remember the things I experienced when I read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHH this is one of my favorite books honestly. I really love how Mitch Album is able to incorporate five different idea, five different points of life, five different views and present it in such grace and form. The book spoke of truth. It spoke of miracles. It spoke of value. It spoke of key take aways we can also identify with in our life.

    The book for me is really a special one. I recall getting this book from my uncle when I was a bit troubled with problem in my life, and it honestly helped me through. It made me realize the value of connections-- that the reality remains that we are al really connected. And I think this can be likened to our discussion on Ricoeur. I remember Dr. Garcia mentioning something about how the self can be found in many selves. This then zeroes in the story of the book itself, where different parts of the plot are beautifully crafted and intertwined. Added to this, Ricoeur's take on the creativity of language and narrative, the fusion of horizons, the implications and the power of texts, and the way it unfolds to reality. Text= connection, where a strong steadfast bond is made between the author and the reader. This, I think, is how we both are affected by Mitch Album, in his take of this book.

    Denise Tan (A)


    The connection between individuals is

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a confessed bookworm. I've read and re-read a lot of books that are really insightful and well-crafted that I get lost in it. It stirs up my emotions and sometimes, it kind of disturbs me. Some books tend to make me think about the life I lead, my fundamental stance and my relationship with people. There is philosophy immersed in a beautiful story and it gives me a chance to personally experience the transformation that books can bring through a series of what-if questions and revelations about life and oneself. But what I really find interesting is how a book's characters tend to reflect same story that we go through or the life that we want. Almost like a small world in a way that it shows how similar yet unique human stories are. In this vast world, an author had written the exact same thing a person thought of. For me, it's amazing how "interconnected" we, as humans, are in our thoughts, aspirations and perhaps, life difficulties that is shown in a story even if it is a product of man's imagination and experiences.

    Mary Ann Docuyanan (A)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is amazing! I particularly like the part when he said "All endings are also beginnings". We just don't know it at the time.” It emphasizes what you said about how "life is not just as we see it". What may be endings to us may begin something we aren't simply aware of at the time being or what may be an end to us may be a beginning for another person. It is just important that we keep ourselves open to the countless possibilities life has to offer and remember that every action leads and affects another.

    Yzabelle Siy (A)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Mitch Albom books! I really find them inspiring and a great source of life altering lessons. I enjoy how you were able to relate the book with our lesson on mimesis and on the interconnectedness of everything. I do believe that it is in seeing ourselves as part of something greater than ourselves that we find meaning in life.
    Jevin Sarmiento (C)

    ReplyDelete