Sunday, December 1, 2013

Equivalence

by Patrick Cruz

I remember one particular time during enrolment for this incoming semester. It happened when I had a lot of things to fix and the sun was directly above me. Just as any other person crossing on the bridge at that time, I was bad-tempered and hurrying in order to finish the tasks early.  But suddenly, there was one child vendor who offered for me to buy turon. Just as I had turned my head back and I was about to say my most common response “no, thank you,” there I saw his innocent face with an angelic smile. He even added, “sige na po, hindi pa po kasi kamina nakakain e.” “How could I refuse to such offer?”, I said to myself. So, I bought two from him. Since I was full at that time and knowing he’s also hungry, then, I give these to him. There, he smiled again and said “Salamat po!”

It was completely an event for me, an encounter with another person. It might have been a surprise, or it might have actually been there all the time and it just took some refreshed minds in order to see this in a different perspective. For me, this is what Dr. Garcia calls random act of kindness—that even when no one is looking at you, you actually made that choice to enter into another person’s life. It is the moment of extension of a hand that could’ve renewed that child vendor’s hope. It is a time when one allows the poor to feel rich, the hungry to feel full, the desperate to feel hopeful and everyone to feel loved.



3 comments:

  1. I applaud you for your act of charity for this young boy. I see these kids selling turon as well. I'd honestly like to take another view on random act of kindness by saying this random acts aren't so random after all. Personally for me these random acts of kindness are products of our own lives and experiences. I think you are still the person you truly are during these random acts of kindness. Your reaction to the child might've stemmed from your own experiences and personality. I believe acts of generosity is a process that everyone should work on. As we gradually do acts of charity or "random" acts of kindness as you might say, we are becoming better and more charitable people. Hopefully random acts of kindness will stem a chain of acts of charity and turn all of us to men and women for others.

    "What must I do for the other?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to see people like you helping out even in the smallest means possible. It is also nice to see street children like this example selling turon or selling sampaguita for money, at least they are giving effort and not just begging for money. Once in a while we can buy from these street children and help out through this "random act of kindness".
    -Diane Cheng (A)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Fern and Diane, I commend you for what you did. Even small acts like these could make people smile. You experience also clearly shows the need to see the other as face. Without keeping in mind Levinas' teachings, we would still be indifferent to these kinds of people who need our help the most. Through seeing them as Face, we are called to a greater responsibility, to actually be able to help them out in concrete ways.

    Robert Go
    Ph102 A

    ReplyDelete