Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Big Adventure with the Little Prince


by Char Syliangco

I first read The Little Prince when I was 12. It was the oddest story for me back then – from the mysterious boa constrictor drawing to the huge guys stepping on small planets. Nothing in the story made sense to me, and it made me wonder why my teacher kept talking about this book like it was holy. A few years later, I randomly found my copy and read it. And then a few years after that again. What’s interesting about it is everytime I get to read it, it’s like I am able to unlock a new message. The book is like a mystery, and the only way to solve it is through age and time.

This is why I have come to love The Little Prince. It is a book that takes us to other worlds. We learn so much from it without leaving our seats; it is the prince who travels for us. He brings us to so many different planets, introduces us to a versatile bunch of people (even animals), and more importantly, he teaches us how to love.

Just in case you haven’t read it: the prince falls in love with a rose. The rose is unique; it was the first of its kind to sprout on the prince’s planet. Realizing that it was not harmful, he chose to take care of it despite her obvious vanity. The rose demanded to be treated with care because she was one of a kind. He took time to water it, protect her from harm, and cover her with a glass globe. But when the prince found out that roses were common in another world, he got hurt and decided to flee. In his journey, he learned that the rose was still one of a kind because it is the only plant he took care of. Also, he found out that the rose will not live forever. He hurried home to his planet upon discovering this.

The problem with us people is that we get too caught up in other people’s flaws that we fail to remember their strengths. There are times that we realize a friend/loved one of ours may be too loud, too sensitive, too irritating, what-have-you. Or maybe this friend might have even hurt us in some way. It is so easy to just hate on them or even stray away from them. But if we truly love this person, we would always choose to see past it. Our job is to point out their mistakes and be patient while they grow to be better people. With this, John Green’s quote comes to mind: “I don’t know a perfect person. I only know flawed people who are still worth loving.” Flaws are only on the surface. Deep down, every person has a kind heart. And that is why we should look with our hearts too, and not with our eyes.


I thank The Little Prince for being my cheat sheet to life. It is true that we need to experience things to fully understand it, but I think the book is an experience in itself. The story, no matter how bizarre the setting is, is based on real-life experiences and insights. In it, I learned how to appreciate each other more. The key is to never give up easily because we might be throwing our happiness away. There is beauty in our own roses despite its thorns.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the insights you have gained from reading this book as it made me realize things about my relationships with people. I do agree with what you said that "the key is never to give up easily because we might be throwing our happiness away" this really struck me because there are really times wherein I just feel like giving up but what keeps me going is, I guess, in itself love. We can never really find perfect people in this world as they do not exist yet often enough we find ourselves seeing a particular person as perfect even with their flaws. I guess what keeps us from giving up on these people is precisely accepting them for who they are and loving them for it. Relationships are truly hard work and they are really fragile things, easily broken and capable of hurting us. Yes, it may have a lot of thorns but in the end, it is still a rose. It is a precious thing that no matter much thorns it may give you, you'd still see it as something beautiful, something that is capable of making you happy despite all the sadness/sufferings you may experience along the way and it is this little bit of hope is what keeps you going on.

    Frenchi Baluyot (A)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your insights are so spot on! I also read The Little Prince at my Kumon Reading classes when i was in grade school and i really couldn't appreciate the book back then. It was masked to be a children's book with its pictures and choice of characters but if you dwell deeper, this book teaches us so much about life. The most perfect relationships aren't the picture perfect couples. It's two individuals who are willing to put time and effort towards each other.

    -Genica Lim (C)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blog post shows how meaningful texts are to life. Like "The Little Prince" being your cheat sheet to life, I believe that texts give us a glimpse of what life can be in another world; also, it helps us understand our current situations and even help us overcome life's challenges.
    -Diane Cheng (A)

    ReplyDelete