Thursday, January 9, 2014

Projecting The Self

by Kat Altomonte



Although I didn’t have the chance to say this in class this morning, I really didn’t agree on selfies being a negative habit or a waste of time. When I take a selfie, it is my way of projecting and marketing my self to the world. Each selfie I take, whether it be with family, with friends, or my doggie, is my way of sharing a part of myself to you.

It makes sense to me why selfies get more likes on Facebook and Instagram than the picture of pretty sunset does. It makes sense to me why selfies became so popular and why it is such an important aspect of our online identities. People are attracted to images of who you are. They give you their attention and give you the recognition that you want. Being able to capture the attention of so many people means that it is what people are actually looking for.


Selfies have the power of showing what you are passionate about: travel, food, art, music, whatever! There is opportunity in being able to both capture and create moments in a creative manner. Indeed, selfies do come across as narcissistic but they do have a personal element to it. But in this technological age and in the kind of society that operates today, they can be a means to share a snapshot of who you truly are what you love. Selfies are more than an act of vanity, they are a projection of the self.

5 comments:

  1. "Selfies have the power of showing what you are passionate about: travel, food, art, music, whatever!"
    I agree! Selfies shouldn't be given off as just plain old vanity pictures, but it could tell different things about people. It expresses who they are and what they're doing. Every picture they take can express different stories about their lives and their interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that selfies should not be given a negative meaning of vanity or what. But I think a sense of moderation is to be established. Some people have a tendency to value their worth by the number of likes their selfies have. In cases like that, I think that is when selfie becomes wrong. For as long as you have control on your selfies (you can stop anytime needed), and your self esteem is rightly motivated, then selfies can be a very creative expression of passion.

    Kate Bonamy
    Ph102A

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said, "People are attracted to images of who you are. They give you their attention and give you the recognition that you want. Being able to capture the attention of so many people means that it is what people are actually looking for." don't you think that the selfie culture has made you a bit more self-centered. What happened to friends, family, and capturing a moment that will last forever because of sentimental reasons? I agree that selfies are not bad if it's not just about oneself but the memory of you and other people.

    Jan Weslee Lim
    PH 102 C

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also shocked when Dr. Garcia was talking in class about the negative aspect of selfies. The author of the article did make sense though. However, I believe only to a certain extreme since I agree with you when you say that selfies could be a projection of the self. Looking back at our lessons, selfies could actually be even a manifestation of jouissance. What if we innocently enjoy taking selfies without even thinking about the number of likes and reblog we'll end up having. Sometimes actions like these remain innocent in their most natural form, but maybe only when they are taken to an extreme that we lose sight of what is really most important.

    Robert Go
    Ph102 A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also believe that Selfies are not bad as long as you are not obsessed about it and they are used in moderation. By, obsessed by selfies, I mean that you count the likes you get, and get happier every time you get a like. I agree with you that it is sharing a part of yourself but it must not be made for vanity's sake.
    -Diane Cheng (A)

    ReplyDelete