Monday, January 21, 2013

Beyond the Traffic Lights

by JB Capinpin


Thoughts Before the JEEP Program

Ever since first sem, I was already excited about the JEEP program offered by the OSCI in partnership with the Philosophy Department. The reason behind is because I perceived the JEEP experience to be one that will standout from the rest of the outreach activities I had previously participated. Going to the provinces and living with less fortunate Filipinos opened my eyes to the reality of poverty here in the Philippines, but it didn’t stick to me because it’s not everyday that I encounter these kinds of people.

And that is how the JEEP program becomes unique. We’re given the opportunity to see the world from the shoes of people whom we would more likely encounter. Given that, I think this JEEP experience will be more significant because we can apply our own experience when we deal these people after our JEEP program.

 The JEEP Orientation

Two Thursdays ago, we finally had our JEEP program orientation. We finally learned what the JEEP program was all about: the rationale behind it, the different opportunities out there, and the requirements. But what really struck me during that session was when we discussed the theme behind JEEP, U-Turn. Specifically, it was the essence of second meaning of the U-turn which made me reflect.

That same morning, I was driving to school from my house in Teacher’s Village. At the corner of C.P. Garcia and Katipunan Avenue there is a stoplight. When I reached that point that morning, I stopped because the stoplight was red. Suddenly, a truck was car behind me was honking; he was signaling me to go. Cars were still crossing in front of me so I did not dare move an inch.

Beside me was another car. The driver was checking the cars on the left; he was attempting to turn right. The stoplight was still red yet he slowly crept to make a right turn. He got away uncaught for violating the traffic light. After a few seconds, the stoplight turned green and I drove away.

I found it amusing that one of the JEEP formators, “Nono”, metioned that U-turns are a hassle to drivers. It was the immediate answer of anyone who always have to travel a couple of distances before he can go in the direction he wants. In a sense, it wastes time and resources. One could have saved these if it weren’t for these stupid u-turn slots. Then, Nono talked about the significance of u-turns. They are made to facilitate traffic and decongest roads. In other words, they aid in the traffic flow. This is perhaps one of the things we usually forget especially when dealing with traffic signs. It’s so easy for us to concentrate on our own agenda and how anything that delays us from reaching our destination is a threat or enemy. We treat these traffic policies and signs as obstacles on the road. However, we cant be naïve and simple-minded about it. They actually help in the overall traffic flow on the road. They were put in place in order to avoid more wastage of time and resources. If every driver acted on his own, the traffic conditions here would be much more severe. Understanding traffic signs must be seen in the context of the big picture. It is through the collective effort of every motorist to obey these traffic rules and regulations which will enable us to move around our country in a more efficient manner.

This does not go only for traffic signs, but also in the way we relate with the Other. Most of the time, our actions are influenced by how the Other appears to us. Our eyes are limited. Therefore, we must go beyond what the eyes can see whenever we relate or interact with the Other. We have to consider their entirety even though Levinas suggests that we can’t fully comprehend the Other because they are alter. This should not hinder us from accepting the Other just because they are not us. It is precisely the effort to know the Other as an Other which makes our relationships meaningful.

2 comments:

  1. At first I actually thought, "why would I need the JEEP program? After all, although I'm an Atenean, I've experienced living with "those" people." I've been to those wet markets just beside the main street, I've rode jeepneys standing up (sabit), I've helped my grandmother in her little sari-sari store when I was a kid, and I've even played with street children before when I was a kid. I've already experienced that "Filipino poverty".

    Of course saying that "I already know what Filipino poverty is" is probably an overstatement, a delusion even. Although I've already experienced it, I have probably only experienced the iceberg's tip: there's probably more to Filipino poverty that I haven't experienced yet. After all, unlike other people, I don't get to experience this Filipino poverty everyday.

    Maybe the JEEP experience can be a chance for that, a chance to experience more of that iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I only chose the organization I served for JEEP because it fits my schedule. Of course I was excited to experience how it feels to work as a regular employee but I was more happy about the fact that the time I have to work didn't mess up my plans to meet my friends or that the time is scheduled after my classes so I won't be troubled to go back to school. After the 3 weeks of JEEP, I felt ashamed for I was excited only for the things I mentioned.

    I can say that I am very thankful that I chose to work at the Municipality of Cainta as a social worker for the Municipal Social Welfare and Development (MSWD) office. The Other, nude and vulnerable, comes to me in so many different forms- as a child struggling to open his own baon, as a breadwinner sick with a heart ailment, as a father among many others.

    I admire the "ates" and "titas" working for MSWD. During my stay in their office, I would always hear them complain about their pay. They'd say things like "Konti na lang ang pasensya ko. Konti na lang din ang laman ng wallet ko." to stress that they get paid so little for the work they do. However, when I got to know them, I learned that although their pay is little, they still find joy from helping the people who need them. I met a very friendly teacher named Mrs. Flordeliza Cruz working at the municipal daycare center and she told me that although looking after little children frequently works her out, she chose to work at the daycare center because she felt that those little children need what she can offer- the only thing she can offer- which is a happy learning experience.

    The people I have met during my JEEP experience has truly moved me and I admit that I wasn't prepared for it. They inspired me to work hard so someday, I can serve for the sake of the Other and offer my help to those who need it.

    ReplyDelete