Friday, March 14, 2014

Lola, Lolo, and Politeness

by Miguel Jimenez

lolo, lola, and myself (1994)

I grew up in a Christian family who always promoted Christian values. This all started when I was still a baby. When I was a baby, I was taught the importance of saying thank you, good-bye, please and thank you, as well as common courtesy such as helping others, or prioritizing others when one crosses the door. I was taught by my Lolo and Lola about politeness and service to other people at a very young age, to become caring and loving to the other, no matter who they might be.

I’d just like to take time and thank them for instilling and teaching me these important virtues and values at a very young age. They taught me that it’s good to be polite and to help others, and ultimately, as Levinas states, “to live my life for the other”.

My Lola told me a story about what I did in the states that relates to my being polite and friendly. A homeless man was sitting on a park bench in Santa Monica, California, and my Lola told me that I went up and sat next to him. Regardless of his race or his social stature, my Lola told me that I conversed with him and talked to him. I introduced myself and asked how he was. Baffled, he talked to me as well, and for a good 5 minutes, the homeless man and myself had a fruitful conversation. Lola also recounts me sharing some of my Animal Crackers with him.

After my encounter with the homeless man, the homeless man went up to my lola and told her that I was the only one that talked to him that day and that he received so much joy from talking to me.

Regardless of what kind of person we encounter in this world, we should always remember to think that we are here for others. Regardless of who we may encounter, we should always remember to say “After you” “thank you” and “a-dieu” and live our lives for the other. As little as these nuances may seem, if done to an other, it can change an other’s day for the better. This is precisely why I’m grateful to my grandparents for instilling such a golden virtue in me at a young age, because these things are easily forgotten. done repetitively, and ever since I was still a baby, politeness became a habit of mine, all thanks to my grandparents.

5 comments:

  1. Miguel, that's such an adorable image of you sitting on a bench, sharing your Animal Crackers with a homeless man. I think it's also quite powerful.

    It's strange to think that we are actually taught behaviours. No one is actually afraid of cockroaches unless they are taught from others to fear them. Most of us tend to shy away from these homeless people as we were taught by elders or by life that they were dangerous people who could snatch our things. Many times, we have dehumanized those less fortunate than us and we don't even look them in the eye.

    The image of you, a child, not yet taught by society to shy away, having a face to face interaction with who you saw was just a man hits on Levinas' philosophy that we really do need to see each other. By simply talking to him, you probably made him feel more authenticated and hence lit up his day.

    - Alix Apostolicas PH102 A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! It is a great recount of how as a child, even if you have not yet learned what philosophy and what being for the other is all about. You were still able to portray the true meaning of the phrase, "me here for you", as such, I truly want to commend you!

    Trixia Tan
    PH102 C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that sometimes the littlest of things are the ones forgotten like saying "thank you" and such. Actually these are the ones that are most important as through these comments, although they may seem little and petty actually make people feel appreciated and acknowledged.

    Frenchi Baluyot A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the thing with wanting recognition for our good deed is that as much as we want to hear the "Thank you" ourselves, we should also give the Other the benefit of the doubt because what if they do appreciate or acknowledge it but weren't able to tell us directly. For example in your situation, you were too young to remember and the homeless man went up to your Lola in gratitude instead of telling you directly. With that said, it is important to always do the good with or without acknowledgement.

    Bits Penaranda
    PH 102 A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that before we were even conscious of it, other people have begun to pave the way for our existence. When we are born into this world, it is because other people have made the effort to bring us into being. We have an obligation to these people and we repay it by helping other people come into being and becoming more fully themselves.

    Miguel Co
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete