Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On Giving

by Eo Villegas

29 November 2012
Discussed Text: Levinas, "There Is," Ethics and Infinity


The discussion in class last Thursday made me remember Mang Roland, for those who don’t know his story here it is: http://everythinginbudget.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-better-samaritan-joes-encounter-with.html

He was a man who satisfied first his needs, in which the 5 pesos worth of rice was sufficient, and then gave everything else to others in need. His story is very touching also because no matter how much shit life threw at him he still strives to be a person for others. Who would’ve thought that after his family all died from various sicknesses, after he had to sell his house to try to treat his wife who died anyway, he still had the heart to help others. He helps in what little ways he can. This just goes to show you don’t have to be the rich Atenean who can help the kids in Africa, rather we all can help in our own little ways.

Lastly I would also like to use the poor widow’s gospel as an example. She gave the smallest donation to the Church, but at the same time it was the biggest donation.  It does not matter how much you give or help, because it is all relative to the capacities of the people who are helping.

6 comments:

  1. Contrary to popular belief, the more you have doesn't necessarily mean the more you'll be able to give. It's the material things that block us from being able to meaningfully connect with others and elevate their lives as well as our lives.

    Thomas Manalac
    Ph102-A

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like about this particular topic is that it's less individualistic compared to most things I've been reading about, but at the same time this also kind of makes the human person still independent despite the existence of the Other. Mang Roland gives and gives to others, not really thinking about whether or not he could've used the money to feed himself or just keep the house and stuff. It's very selfless and anti-individualistic. In a way though, these people whom he sacrifices so much for are the ones who complete him, who make him whole and therefore an individual. I think this is really something everyone should just think about because right now, it's what we need. People on top should come down, feel for a moment what's going on with those whom they do not mind. They can't just keep signing stuff and donating things without the heart for it; they have to know for what reasons they are doing so. I remember my old Lit professor saying something about how church people or something in Rome can talk about AIDS when they're living in some golden room in the Vatican, never even visiting those places where people actually have AIDS.

    Mikee De Ocampo
    PH102 - C

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Thomas on this. I believe that just because you aren't well off, means that you shouldn't give as much as those who are well off. The things that Thomas say about the materials blocking off from being meaningful is for me, true as well. I remember Doc G saying that the material should be a support to the spiritualistic. For us to be intelligent, we need the support of our brain and as such. Kudos to Mang Roland for being able to give so much with what little he has and I do think it goes to show that anyone, no matter how fortunate or unfortunate, there is still something that we can give.

    Hokulea Cabrera
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that link. I can't believe I've never heard of that before. His is a heartbreaking story indeed. While I don't understand why doesn't keep something to help himself, I guess that's where the beauty of his story lies. His innocence and naivety, aside from his selflessness is truly something I find amazing.

    Lica Lee
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stories like this "traumatize" me and make me reflect. I always feel moved and struck whenever I hear of people who are so helpful to others; they give up many things which they could have used for themselves. I always remember myself because I am the complete opposite of this. Whenever I see street children, I shy away from them and I don't even bother helping them. I guess it really takes effort and heart to love and give to others. I hope that I can become more generous in giving out to the needy.

    -Russell Virata
    Ph102C

    ReplyDelete