Monday, December 3, 2012

Being is not Time and not Being is Time

by Hubert Cua (part 2 of 5)

[I wrote this article without any intention of trying to criticize and/or falsify Martin Heidegger’s Being is Time. Also, the way I use Being, being and time in this article is quite different from the way Martin Heidegger use Being, being and time.]


When we are happy (Let us take occasions, like parties, celebrations, festivals, graduations as an example), we usually forget about the time. Usually, it is only when this happy moment passed that we realized that time passed so fast. When we are worried (Let us take occasions, like call of nature, traffic, fear of being late, emergencies as an example), we usually constantly look at the clock and feel that time goes so slow. Here, we can see the contrasting nature of time and being between the two. When we are happy, we experience time without knowing it. When we are worried, we experience time while knowing it. When we are happy, we are Being, because we are enjoying life to the fullest. When we are worried, we are simply being, because we are just living life.

Should time be experienced while knowing it or should time be experienced while not knowing it? For me, time should be experienced while knowing it. Why? One of the differences between a subject and an object is that a subject is capable of knowing that he/she experiences time, while an object is not capable of knowing that it experiences time. If we experience time, while not knowing it, then what is our difference with objects?

Based from the previous paragraph, it seems that I am side more on getting worried. Is it? Should we be or Be? For me, we should Be. Why? One of the differences between a subject and an object is that a subject Be, while an object simply be. If we be, then what is our difference with objects?

Why is Being time and why is being Time (From this point on, Time with a capital T means experiencing time while knowing it)? Can’t Being and Time be put together?

1 comment:

  1. I think Being and Time can be put together, but then you would be considered someone who is pathological. Why should you measure your life with time when you don't even know when you're going to die? Even though we are a being towards death, that doesn't automatically suggest that we should count the days when we do die. For me, it means that we should as Doc G quotes, "Live as we would die tomorrow, and study as we would live forever." Do you see the phrase, "count the days to when you would die"? I don't mean to offend.

    I am honestly afraid of when I will die but that's not stopping me from experiencing my life. I can say that college life has changed me a lot and I can say I'm proud of the changes I have gone through. They have made me more sensible and confident in my abilities. I really think they didn't put Being and Time together for a reason.

    Hokulea Cabrera
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete