Friday, December 7, 2012

Ilyaing, being and Being in Dreaming

by Hubert Cua (Part 1 of 2)

I slept. I woke up. I asked myself, “Did I sleep or did I dream?”

I believe that some of us have experienced this in the past even for just a time. This is the experience when we are not sure in what following case we belong. For the first case, we just lie on the bed without sleeping. For the second case, we lie on the bed, fall asleep without dreaming of something. For the third case, we lie on the bed, fall asleep and dream of something. Some scientific studies say that we usually experience this when we are tired when we go to sleep. Because we are tired, our consciousness is still at work to some extent, while we are sleeping. This makes us falsely believe that we are awake, so when we experience something like this, we actually belong to second case or third case.

Between the second case and third case, let us first talk about second case, which is we lie on the bed, fall asleep without dreaming of something. In the second case, we can see the continuity of our consciousness before sleeping and after sleeping. However, this consciousness is not active consciousness or total consciousness. Rather, this consciousness is passive consciousness or partial consciousness. This is because, we seem to be conscious, but we are not really conscious. At this point, we are neither the conscious nor the unconscious. In other words, we are experiencing il y a.

Now, let us talk about third case, which is we lie on the bed, fall asleep and dream of something. In the third case, we also experience il y a, like in the second case. However, since we are dreaming, we are being or Being in our own dreams. Isn’t this a strange phenomenon? We exist in this real world and in the imaginary world in dreams at the same time. More strangely, we are also ilyaing, being and Being at the same time.

In the class, we often say that ilyaing, being and Being are linear, in the sense that we need to go from ilyaing to Being through being. Here, it seems that we are assuming that we can’t be ilyaing, being and Being at the same time. To provide an example when we are ilyaing, being and Being at the same time, I brought out this strange phenomenon.

1 comment:

  1. In all honestly, Philosophy has never made me so happy and sad at the same time. Thinking about what we've done in our lives and our relations with people, it makes you want to become a better person, a better Being. This idea of a being for Others, that's what I've been doing for most of my life. Giving back to my school through service and doing the little things for my friends and family to let them know how much I care for them.

    Thinking that we might be a butterfly thinking that we are people, that's kind of a scary thought. I know that every night we dream, although, some of the times, we just don't remember.

    In Psychology, especially for Freudians, we say that dreams hold some subconscious meaning. How does that relate to being? Should we listen to our dreams and interpret it to make some meaning out of it or just the experience of dreaming is enough to make us question what we're doing with our lives?

    I guess that's what I want to leave this post with.

    Hokulea Cabrera
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete