Thursday, June 20, 2013

Becoming The Joker

by Mara Cepeda

I want to become silly.

Like how Simon Critchley describes philosophers in the text “What is a Philosopher?” I want to become the one who destroys the status quo. I want to become “a laughing stock, an absent-minded buffoon, the butt of countless jokes.”

I want to become silly because it means that I am aware, that I have, or at least I am trying to, remove myself from my default setting.

You see, one of the main things that struck me from the past three meetings in class is that to philosophize means to constantly pay attention. Paying attention then means realizing that the “familiar” world we know is not so familiar after all. Apparently, we need to get out of ourselves and realize, accept and understand that the world around us still has so much more meaning to offer.

To philosophize therefore is to allow yourself to be constantly surprised by the world.

But isn’t that scary, the thought that you can never be too sure about yourself and the world?

It is. However, in my little contemplation these past few days, I realized that perhaps it is okay to realize one’s unfamiliarity with the world. To become the joker, to become the odd one out, may just be a good thing after all.

I believe it was Socrates who said that “I only know that I know nothing,” and I think this statement is spot on.

Isn’t philosophizing the act of, to borrow Dr. Garcia’s words in the last meeting, “being aware that you are aware,” and consequently, also being aware that you are not aware?

Because when we sought to know, we realize more and more how much we do not know. This uncertainty therefore can propel us to never be too sure of ourselves, to stop thinking that the world revolves around us, and to realize just how small we are compared to the unknown universe.

Perhaps this is why Critchley said philosophers are silly, because who on earth would want to humbly accept that you only know nothing?

The joker will. The silly one will. The philosopher will.


And maybe, just maybe, this is what PH 101 is us challenging to do.

3 comments:

  1. Since 3 sessions ago, this activity of philosophically thinking had actually pre-occupied my thoughts. I am hesitant to admit that I did a Thales act lately. While deep in thought as to the connection of the essays of DFW and Critchley, I bumped into the rear plate of a parked car and ripped my pants.

    While I was on queue at a dentist's clinic, I wiled away the time by applying what DFW said in "This is Water". I got so engrossed in my thoughts that I wanted to go back to them after the consultation. I left the clinic without paying the bill and I was hunted by the staff like a fugitive (exaggeration intended).

    Am certain that these accidents have nothing to do with my age. I'd like to think that I am being silly because I am beginning the climb to stand on the shoulders of giants.

    Have a fun weekend, everyone.

    Eve Avila, Philo 101A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all actually need to be "silly", to not be so much defined by this world, to not be so much consumed with conformity that we actually lose ourselves. We need to experience the world in our own ways, this is why experience and philosophy is so special because it is a personal journey as opposed from a universal one. It is not a definite process defined by theories and results, instead philosophy is about this personal and intimate living on this earth. Perhaps we all have to be silly in order to recognize our brokenness and thus be able to mend it.

    Frenchi Baluyot (A)

    ReplyDelete
  3. joker888 I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article.

    ReplyDelete