Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grey

by Agassi Adre


Yes and No.
Funny words, those two; small, yet heavy. Simple, yet complex. Also, they are the easiest translatable words in the world. This linguistic quality is unique. Before I actually start, I'd like to develop on this linguistic quality, as it will be important later.

In linguistics, languages develop from a need to convey ideas, and differing languages show different interpretations of ideas. By extension, if an idea does not exist in a culture or it is not important, that culture does not develop a code or word for it, hence the lack of the word 'snow' in Tagalog or 'mamihlapinatapei*' in English. Which then leads linguists, writers, and wordsmiths to either attempt to translate or borrow words from other languages. But the words 'Yes' and 'No' exist throughout every culture, in every language. Hence, we can conclude that, to all human beings, 'yes' and 'no', as ideas, exist and are important.

And so, I begin formally.

We discussed the idea of 'yes' and 'no' and their value as an affirmation of our values and character, as well as an affirmation of our self, of our being and Being. It was well established, I suppose, that when posed the question of answering 'no' as being a bad thing, that the agreement is it is not. On the contrary, saying 'no' is another way of affirming ourselves, of our being and Being, even if the dictionaries define 'no' as a word to, in this context, denote denial. I took away from the lecture this notion that maybe the word 'no' maybe a stronger affirmation of being and Being than saying 'yes'.

We throw around those two words a lot in our lives that we tend to experience jamais vu** with them, where they lose their inherent value, and we forget that those small words are capable of defining and affirming who we are as a person. And I think we ought to remember that characteristic, even if it is not a conscious remembrance. Remembering that particular characteristic of those words can allow us, in my opinion, understand better who and what we are and who and what we are not.

This shared characteristic between those two words debunk the idea that 'yes' and 'no' are a dichotomy, two sides to a coin. On the contrary, and as was established in class, is that those words are rather like scissors; which we use to cut off other options, other choices. This shared characteristic also transcends cultures. Every culture, every human being, understands the idea behind the words 'yes' and 'no'. This means that there is a universal value to these words, and every culture holds importance to them, because beyond borders, beyond barriers, beyond languages, a need to affirm oneself and to mark a self-distinction from the il y a exists for all. We need those words to affirm ourselves, to distinguish ourselves, to mark us as unique.
In our quest to distinguish ourselves, we pick out the things that we are and cut off those that we are not. Prudence and discernment are needed, as we find out, the longer we are on this quest, the harder it is to see things as black and white, for all eventually become shades of grey.

*mamihlapinatapei or mamihlapinatapai – From the Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego in southern Argentina, meaning 'a look shared by 2 people, each wishing that the other will offer something they both desire but are unwilling to offer or suggest themselves'. Think the state of mutual understanding between couples; a state after dating and before a steady relationship.

** jamais vu – French for 'never seen'. Considered to be the opposite of deja vu (already seen). It is the feeling of doing, saying, or experiencing something repeatedly that they lose meaning or value. Example: Say 'apple' repeatedly. After a while, if you don't become crazy, you suddenly have no idea what 'apple' means.


2 comments:

  1. The idea of being in the grey area also dawned on me during the lecture. I think as both society and man evolved, the conditions involved in choosing between yes and no have also become more complex. The more critical minds our minds are, the more difficult it is to make the not-so-simple decision of yes or no. Too many conditions are attached to either choice and too many consequences await the decision-maker. In the same way, understanding these conditions also makes the decision more meaningful in light of affirming our identity. When we choose either yes or no, we are therefore also making a more self-aware and knowledgeable stand on how we see ourselves, and how we wish others to perceive us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In relation to what Justine said, as the mind gets more critical, I think we start to think, "what exactly are we saying yes or no to?" For instance, I'm often asked if I'm Chinese. Being Chinese to me means identifying oneself with the Chinese people, if that's the case then I would have to say no. But when I say no, people would say that I'm lying since my surname is "Lim" which is Chinese. So does the fact that I have a Chinese surname alone make Chinese? Or the mere fact that I have chinky eyes or that my grandfather was Chinese makes me a Chinese myself, despite me being born and raised in the Philippines as a Filipino.

    This is why I think philosophy and critical thinking are important. We learn to be conscious of the multi-accentedness of the way we construct our worlds, and the countless things we say "yes" or "no" to.

    Also, I'd just like to share a tangential insight. In translating from English to Chinese, "yes" becomes 是 and "no" becomes 不是. Some meaning is lost however as 是 literally means "to be" as the Chinese for "我的名字是..." literally means "I name is..." so to say 是 then is to say "It is." and 不是 is to say "It is not."

    [*Disclaimer: I haven't reviewed my Chinese since I successfully cheated my way out of high school so my Chinese might be off.]

    ReplyDelete