Sunday, November 18, 2012

Richard Dawkins On "Useless" Things

When me and my friends were in your age, the times when we were much younger (and full of hope), one of the people that we have read casually was Richard Dawkins, and this is one man from whom I believe we can learn a lot.

The video below is a comment on why humans do these "useless" things (part of which, I think, involves talking about other people talking about uselessness). What do you think?



And for those who are more into any of the writings and ideas of Dawkins, here is another video (this is quite long) which features him in a dialogue with the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, who, mind you, is one of the greatest minds of this century, a brilliant philosopher and theologian who frequently engages in friendly intellectual discussions with also one of the greatest theologians of our time, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger or Pope Benedict XVI.



1 comment:

  1. Hm. I'm posting a comment now because I haven't been doing much on this blog and this video captured my attention. As I stated in class before, I do not like to think very much, and prefer to take life as it is, though reflection and philosophy obviously have their part in my life. Based on my previous belief that philosophy was "useless", it's possible to extend Richard Dawkins' commentary on "useless things" into the subject of philosophizing. Some people would say that this is useless, and that humans should live life in the here and now spontaneously, as philosophy is detrimental to the experience of life, but if you take into account what Richard Dawkins says, the ability to philosophize may mean that our brains are capable of more than just seeing what is there. Philosophizing could possibly be the extension of the ability to see things beyond the physical or literal aspect, which could be analogous to what Richard Dawkins said concerning evolution.

    -Joaquin Zotomayor

    ReplyDelete