Thursday, November 15, 2012

Texts and Phenomenology

by Kris Kokseng

13 November 2012
Discussed Text: Levinas, "Bible and Philosophy" in Ethics and Infinity


Today Doc Garcia talked about two main topics, text and phenomenology. What exactly did I learn about these topics? Doc Garcia explained that philosophy should not begin with ideas in one's head; it should begin from lived experiences. Texts are important because one person can't experience everything. Texts are the experiences of other people written down, and when we think of philosophy we must not only use our own experiences but texts as well.

"La vraie vie est ailleurs(the true life is elsewhere)," said Rimbaud. Levinas states that this true life is no longer utopian because we find a place for it in our thoughts. We "de-center" ourselves and enter the world of what we are reading. As Flaubert said "Live in order to live!" This is why Levinas considers the Bible as one of the great books that he has encountered because not only does it give a possibility but it gives many possibilities of that true life.

Moving on to phenomenology, as we experience things we are living life however this is only the pre-reflective level of phenomenology. A reflection as defined in class is a gaze that goes outside and comes back.  As we reflect on our experiences we enter into the reflective level which is living life outside of life.
I had an experience when I was driving a car. I was in the pre-reflective level when I was just driving on "auto-pilot" until a point where I almost hit somebody. That's when I became conscious of being conscious, and being conscious that what I do could really affect others. From reflecting I learned that I had to be more careful when driving. In a sense I was also conscious of others. And as we tackled being a person for others, I always wondered why did I even think or care about others during this experience. Maybe it is just hard-wired into us.

6 comments:

  1. I like your car example. It's actually the reason why I drive so slowly. My friends in the province make fun of me for it and I know that eventually I'll have to learn to "put the pedal to the metal" but do I really have to? For my friends, cars are for being able to get around and "para maging ma-appeal sa chicks, pare" and while I do agree with them (not so much the latter though) I just keep remembering the fact that while I'm trying to get from point A to point B (in style?), I'm driving a huge piece of metal that can hurt and even kill others were I to commit a small error. The responsibility that comes with the freedom of driving a car is one that I can't neglect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also especially like the car example. I only got my learner's permit a little over a month ago, so I am completely new to the driving world. That being said, I kind of picked up how to make the car move properly after a few hours of driving lessons. The problem is, I am never aware of the other cars and pedestrians around me. Up until now, when I drove my parents to a nearby McDonald's for a quick breakfast, they say I am still unaware of everything around me. I almost ran into a few cars and even innocent posts along the way.

    If I take time to reflect on it, is driving really worth the risk of causing inconvenience (and possibly danger) to the people around me just for my own convenience of getting to my destination faster and more sweat-free? probably not. Experiences like this make you realize that sometimes, if not always, we have to give up our comfort for the greater good.

    Lica Lee
    PH101 A

    ReplyDelete
  3. The car example really hit me hard. Just recently, I scratched my car while parking it right outside my house. I felt so stupid, because I should know how to do it, it's such a basic thing. I always remain vigilant when driving, and I always follow the rules and regulations. I've parked my car several times, and I mess up right where I first learned how to park.

    We all try not to make huge mistakes. The thought of hitting rock bottom is scary. But sometimes, screwing up the basics is just as frustrating. If you can't get the little things right, what more once you start dealing with greater things later on? When it finally sunk in, just like you, I became conscious that I was conscious. I became aware that my misjudgment could have affected others. While I'm thankful that the damage was not severe and no one was hurt, it still makes me feel foolish.

    I've learned my lesson. Never forget to go "back to the things themselves." Because even if something might seem so trivial or automatic to us, it's probably the thing that's going to get to us in the future.

    Krista Agbayani/Section C

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)) I remember back in first year I had a 7:00 am PE class and there were times when I would fall asleep behind the wheel while waiting in traffic. I know it sounds so dangerous, thankfully I didn't get into an accident, but when I think about it I shouldn't have done that and just ask my mom to drive me to school whenever I feel tired. Like they said, it's better to be safe than sorry. This is because it's not only our life than we are putting in danger but also the lives of others. Which is why we need to be responsible about it.

    Kat Balonan
    Philo 102 A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the car example because driving at times has in a way become a routine. Like, there will be times when I'd just drive and not notice the things around me much. But, then there's always that moment- a stoplight, an inconsiderate taxi driver, an unthinking motorcycle driver, a pedestrian (and many other factors) that allows you to snap back into reality to realize what you're really doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, it is hard to always keep on experiencing new things because there is the uncertainty in them that we can never control. I know that experiences may come in good or bad ones, but I can't help thinking that we are afraid to experience because we are afraid of what might happen, that they are not in sync with that we want to happen. I remember when I was in driving school, I was so scared to step on the gas pedal, thinking I might hit somebody. I was always so conscious of my actions that I think I was getting left behind. My teacher then noticed and told me to relax, to let go and to trust in him that nothing bad will happen. Eventually, I learned to let go, yet still be conscious of my surroundings. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be scared of experiences. They are a way for us to learn more about ourselves and the world. They also keep us grounded that things don't always evolve around us only; there are other people out there in the world as well.

    -M. Cua, Ph102 A

    ReplyDelete