Friday, November 30, 2012

Better to Err on the Side of Caritas

by Sophie Villasfer

29 November 2012
Discussed Text: Levinas, "There Is," Ethics and Infinity


One of the most common ethical concerns was raised in class: Is it okay to give to beggars?  Or will giving only contribute to the social problem?

I believe that if I have something extra, whether food or money, it is usually better to go ahead and give.  As mentioned in class, it is better to err on the side of caritas (which is Latin for charity or love).  In other words, it is better to be wrong because I loved, rather than being always '"right", because I did nothing in the first place.  The usual counterargument is that those in need must approach the DSWD or the NGOs instead of begging.  Another argument is, why won't they look for work? I think that while these points are valid, when put into the situation of to give or not to give, I cannot help but think why am I not in this person's situation? Why am I not begging in the street? Why was I born to a family that can provide for me?  Why me?  And at that situation I realize that I do not have the right to blame the poor as to why they are poor, nor do I have the right to rationalize the many options they have for them to escape poverty instead of bothering me.  I cannot judge that it is the poor's fault that they are in that situation, because I myself did not choose to be rich, or at least provided for.  In the bigger picture, I was blessed to be "thrown" into existence through a family with some means.  But why? The other side of this realization is the question, why was this person "thrown" into poverty?  Why do opportunities evade him? These are the questions I do not have the answers to, and yet, by being aware that my situation in society is a gift, I feel the weight of responsibility. Perhaps whatever extra I have is for another.  As it was my family's responsibility to take care of me, maybe for the moment, it is my responsibility to take care of this person that demands from me.  There is this person that demands from me, calls me to give, yet I do not know him.  But even if I do not know him, I feel that he is one of many that I should respond to.  And with this feeling of responsibility (or gratefulness, or even guilt), also comes frustration.  I feel that I want to give in a way that is more efficient, more sustainable.  However, at the moment I am still a student with financial limitations.  Maybe someday.  But today, all I have is some change in my pocket, or maybe some bread.  So at that moment on the street, when I have something extra, I decide to give.  While it may not solve a long term problem, I may have helped another person live another day.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with how you said that we cannot blame the poor for being poor because they were thrown in this world in that particular situation. Come to think of it, there are only few people who lived the expression of "rags to riches." These people are one in a million. And what we can only do is help these people who struggle by giving them a part of us -- time, attention, compassion, money, food, etc. The act of giving is a gift itself. We give because we want to. Not because we should or because we can, but because there is this exigency in us to make the other smile, to make him/her happy. Like this Christmas season, we give gifts to the other because it only doesn't make that other person happy, it also makes us happy. Wrapping our presents to our siblings and friends is an exciting feeling... and i guess because being human is having an innate urge to give. It's an instinctive expression of our divine ability to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! When it comes to giving, it is better to err on the side of caritas. You can't afford to err only if you are experiencing financial difficulty in the family, because you do have your family and yourself to think about, after all. However, if you have enough or even more but choose not to give because of several what-if's, believe it or not, chances are you just don't want your money to go to waste. There is nothing wrong about that. Sayang eh. You gotta admit though that perhaps it has to do with protecting your money and consequently yourself from deception. Keep your change, then, because you "probably" need it more. Or do you? :)

    I like how you added the bit about "thrownness" ... I've got a habit for treating friends to stuff and had one of them tease me for being rich. I didn't like it and tried to tell him that my parents weren't born rich and they worked hard, yet he carried on, "your parents, yes, but YOU, you are born rich." I felt flabbergasted and muttered, "I didn't choose to be. It's not my fault." Precisely because I have what I have, I want to share it. Giving became a privilege for me!

    Abi Go
    Ph102 A

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thanks to this, I kind of understand the concept of thrownness better. I never fully understood it before. But I guess this serves as a slap on the face for some people, including myself. I am guilty of using the "They-should-just-look-for-work" excuse and even the "I'd-rather-donate-to-a-charity-or-NGO-than-give-money-to-this-kid" excuse. But in the end, these are just excuses. I remember the old Filipino saying. "Pag ayaw may dahilan, pag gusto palaging mayroong paraan." Yup, in the end, we could just be using these excuses as a way out, as a way to not give. We always have a choice to just give. Whether they use what you gave them for good or bad is not the issue. As long as you gave, at least you did your part.

    Lica Lee
    PH101 A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember hearing things about giving to street beggars from others. I was younger back then and didn't really give it much thought. A few years later in high-school, I had to do research on poverty for a research paper. Statistics show that a major percentage of families who are considered poor have been so for generations. Time has shown that it is very difficult for them to rise up from the situation they find themselves "thrown" into ever since birth. I ask myself if it is really fair to say things like "they need to learn to become independent and self-sufficient." I try to imagine swapping places and immediately have no idea what to do.

    I remember what our sociology and anthropology teacher would always say. Life is never able to completely force you to do something. As people, we will always have options to choose from. However, the reality is that the number of options we have to choose from are limited by our socio-economic standing in society.

    Noel Almendras
    PH102 A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although this post is short, it is simple and to the point. I do believe that being "thrown" to where we are now can only make us think and most of all, appreciate what we have. The ability to even see, hear and speak is already a blessing because some others don't have that. The most we could do for those who are less unfortunate is to make them fortunate. Most people didn't decide to be put into that situation and by easing their sorrows is one way for the world to become a place of hope and future.

    Hokulea Cabrera
    PH 102 A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Usually, when we give, we always try to think of the consequences of the act. "What benefit will it give the child? What will it do to me? What about this, What about that?" Not all may think like this, but usually, I do. I guess it's wrong to have this kind of thinking, and it's best to give for the sake of giving, without expecting anything in return. (or is it just in love that we should have this kind of mind setting?)

    I understand your way of thinking that as a person, it's best have the feeling that you're able to help another person even just for a day. But I can't help thinking that we should also try to solve this problem for the long term benefit of all those less fortunate. Isn't it best that we preserve the same condition for a few months while we work on it with a long term plan, such as creating an organization or some government intervention? In a way, it might be temporarily gratifying only on your side if you help someone for a day, rather than for a long time.

    -M. Cua, Ph102 A

    ReplyDelete