Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Life-Changing Event

by Christian Go


There wasn’t enough time in class but I would very much like to share my own experience which changed my perception in life. JEEP wasn’t exactly an eye opener for me. I was somewhat aware of their means of living and although it had a few new insights it wasn’t something which brought shock and changed my direction in life.

A few years back, I went into the HIV advocacy. I wanted to do something new and experiment on a complete different social aspect. You hear about education more often in comparison to most advocacies and now something new came up my way. I underwent training to become an official HIV 101 educator and eventually a counsellor for awhile.  A counsellor is the person who provides pre and post counselling to the person who undergoes the HIV test to prepare them for the possible outcomes and to provide a de-briefing afterwards.

The event which changed my life was the point when I wanted to give up on the advocacy. It was emotionally draining to receive calls in the middle of the night of people considering taking their own life because they were tested positive. It was taking a toll on me. One of my friends in the advocacy then told me, “Christian, if you don’t do it then who will?” It dawned upon me. He was right. I took on the advocacy knowing the emotional stress it came with. I was about to give up when things were about to get much more difficult. In fact I was about to give up when people needed me the most.

To relate this to the lecture the last few days, I guess the point being I was responsible to look out for people whom I didn’t know. In taking on the advocacy I chose to care for the other without even knowing it. It doesn’t take knowing the other in order to care for the other. Whether it is direct or indirect, we all can do so. I think it’s just how we choose to do it. I think it’s about choosing to recognize these opportunities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. JEEP for me wasn't so much of an eye opening experience for me, but it was very humbling and I did get some insights from it. "Someone's got to do it" was something I kept on thinking about while working in Mini Stop Marikina. I never imagined that I'd take on a job that entails cleaning windows and rearranging sachets of mayonnaise. But then again, if I didn't do it, or if the staff of Mini Stop didn't, who will?

    Now that we're all aware and we're beginning to ask questions like that, it's about time we acted on it. I remember someone who recited last Thursday said that our actions need not be huge gestures, that something as simple as following rules can make a big difference. Everyday we are given the task of being responsible for the Other, we are all capable of it, but as Christian said, "I think it’s about choosing to recognize these opportunities."

    ReplyDelete