Monday, February 4, 2013

Magister

by Mateo Escueta

A reflection inspired by the epiphany of the face by Emmanuel Levinas


We’ve learned much about the epiphany of the face by Emmanuel Levinas. Looking at face of the other is not merely a stare, but more of a gaze of awe and wonder, acknowledging that the person is an Other, a human being who has a life teeming with infinite possibilities just like you.

Sir Eddieboy Calasanz wrote that when we look at the other’s face, we don’t just see the eyes or that wonderful smile, but the loob or kalooban of the other. What’s more striking is that Calasanz later on says that when we are moved by the other after gazing at their face, the call to service is heard. Ikaw muna or kayo muna, Calasanz described it as. Thus is the call to responsibility to the other and we are called to sacrifice.

And thus we have the teacher. My high school Latin recalls the word “magister”, a word that to me sounds as powerful and glorious as the Latin word “dominus”, which is master or lord. We owe much to our teachers. No, let me rephrase that – we are indebted to our teachers. Isn’t it funny how perhaps the most influential and selfless profession is undervalued and seen as thankless?But take a moment and think on Levinas’s epiphany of the face and tie that to how a teacher painstakingly, lovingly and passionately gives of himself for the learning and growth of the naïve student. What we have here is a true example of selfless love and service to the other.

The teacher is the best example of an infinite human person who takes it upon himself or herself to reach out and mold the young human person into the best he or she could ever be. Theirs is a story of a beautiful sacrifice, an obligation they willingly put upon themselves. Nobody asked them to teach students for a living and give their comprehensive yes and commitment to such profession. But I guess the fulfillment and sense of wonder in teaching the other is one that is unparalleled. As romantic as it sounds, I believe a good teacher can make a definitive impact on the lives of their students and leave them with lessons and experiences that they will take with them beyond the walls of the classroom.

While not all teachers are the inspiring characters we’d prefer to have the privilege of being students of all the time, they are in a position where they experience the epiphany of the face on a deeper degree as they guide, teach and mentor their dear students. Let’s be honest, teachers don’t get paid much, but I believe the fulfillment and sense of accomplishment is priceless and that is what keeps them at it.

I fondly remember my beloved teachers from PAREF Southridge School, where I had the blessing to have such passionate, inspiring and committed teachers. I remember the greats and my beloved teachers: Manny Escasa, who taught me third year world history, Ed Valmorida, my fourth year class adviser and economics teacher, Buboy Sumulong, who taught me Philippine history and Latin, brilliant minds in English and literature Dino Peralta, Benjie Torralba and Eugene Salazar, my chemistry and physics professor Raymond Ganar, the wise Juanito Sese and Chito Flores, my ever patient math teachers PJ Gonzales, Francis Ong and Ariel Marcera, my biology teacher Botchok Del Rosario and my beloved grade school teachers George Carandang, Luis Barrientos, Dennis Holgado, Norman Charvet and Joseph Espejo. Of course there is my mentor, Rutch Regencia and my varsity basketball coach Ricky Sales. All these teacherstaught me what it meant to be a man of integrity, to work hard, to have faith, to be honest, compassionate and humble.
Thinking about how different I’d be if not for my teachers makes me even more thankful for everything they’ve done for me. I wonder how different the epiphany of my face would be now to an Other had I not been under such committed and great teachers.

No one asked them to, but these men became teachers and committed themselves to the service of forming and teaching the youth, thus not only experience the epiphany of the face, but see the young faces of their students grow to hopefully become better persons in the future. As old as we become, however, it’s touching to hear them say that their memory of us will always be how we were as their young students. Teachers love their students like their own, I’d like to think.

And the least we could do is say thank you to our dear teachers. They are the unsung heroes in our lives. And maybe, just maybe, their example moves us to consider giving back. Who knows? Maybe some of us are inspired to pay it forward and consider teaching. I know I’d like to teach one day and experience the epiphany of the face on a deeper degree as I guide, teach and mentor my dear students.

Maybe if I do teach, even just part time, I will see the face of my student and hear a command and a plea, “teach me, teacher”. It’s a command since it is one’s profession, but it’s a plea because no teacher is required by a school to go beyond teaching the subject matter and making such a big impact on the lives of the students and be responsible for them. That is a choice or a vocation they choose to take.

We may not realize it, but the most our teachers would love to hear is a simple “thank you” or to show that we’ve truly grown under their care. It’s a little thanks for an Other who has given his or her all for us students.

2 comments:

  1. Nice entry. I would just like to share that in my experience of being a teacher for a month and a half last summer (for Alay ni Ignacio), I was always grateful to my students who showed such enthusiasm for learning with the way they participate well in class. I guess simple acts such as that could brighten a teacher's day already. It shows how they value your effort in spending your time for them, how they choose to make the most out of your effort (and the opportunity as well) so they will learn, and that is what a teacher wishes and makes an effort to happen. :)

    -Steffie Castaneda (C)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up with a mother who was a teacher, I personally saw in her the dedication of a teacher to his students which you described in your entry. And with that, I completely agree that teachers love (or at least grow to love) their students like their own. In fact, sometimes it even made me jealous, when I would see how my mom would be troubled when her students were not doing well and going through some tough experiences and how she would be filled with joy at their success and growth. And although I can never really grasp how much her students meant to her, I admire her very much for how much she cared for her students, even though at times, it brought her a bit of sadness.

    ReplyDelete