Sunday, February 10, 2013

Enslaved To Be Freed

by Steffie Castaneda

7 February 2013
Discussed Text: Levinas, "Responsibility," Ethics and Infinity


Hearing the word responsibility nowadays often makes me want to cringe. It sickens me because I feel I have had too much already. Eight classes to look after for a whole semester demands so much of time. And it does not stop just yet, because I know I have other more responsibilities to carry. More responsibilities to challenge me.More responsibilities to burden me.

More responsibilities to enslave me.

One night, just recently I was alone at our terrace, busy practicing solving problems for a physics long test on the following day. Far as I was from done, I was so worried that I didn’t want to take a few minutes of my time if it’s not for something that will draw me closer to finishing my task. But just when I thought everyone at home was already asleep,assured no one will disturb me, my cousin unexpectedly goes out and sits in front of me.

I was surprised. I can’t just ignore her and keep on solving, so I stopped.

Hostage, though seemingly exaggerated of a term for this kind of situation, was used by Levinas to refer to the experience of being claimed by the Other, as if besieging us, or persecuting us. It is as if the Other is accusing, or imprisoning us of something we were not even aware of. There is a command to serve him, to be responsible for him. This brings out the vulnerability of the I that did not choose to respond in the first place, but wasnevertheless affected by the Other and so has committed to respond.

 had to stop because I know my cousin wouldn’t just sit in front of me to reflect/relax/meditate/pray etc. I had to surrender a portion of my time and lend a listening ear to her. And in that situation, I ought to be more listening than talking or commenting because it seemed more appropriate for what she was about to tell me.

Hearing her expressing how tired and worn out she was with her work, just as I was too, I vulnerably gave in further to the command for my ears to catch her words, my mind to de-center, my heart to share the weight, my soul to reach out, even if all means taking as much as she needs of my time that could have been spent for sleeping and studying. The conversation lasted for about 30 minutes, but it did not just stop yet because it made me reflect after for a few minutes more.

Many times, we choose for things to go our own way. But it cannot always follow that way simply because we cannot take control of everything. Things can unexpectedly shift in direction, and this is what makes us vulnerable, especially in the context of the Other who suddenly and unexpectedly approaches us to demand, as if in a claim to serve him/her for something we were not accountable for. It demands us to “substitute for the Other”in a fault that wasn’t ours in the first place.

And what is most ironic about that situation is that it does not seek to enslave you, but free you. This is the most wonderful realization I owe to Levinas after having listened to Dr. Garcia’s lecture last Thursday. Looking back at my experience,I now find that sense of gratitude and rewardfrom that very moment I was seized to carry on another responsibility, in addition to my already many responsibilities. It one was a special kind, because what seemed to enslave me at first--considering the state I was in that time--was now,I realize in amazement, a ratherfreeingone. It was a freeing one because itallowed me to get out of myself and reach out to the Other.To quote Hammarskjöld, it was as if “the way chose me”to reach out and share the burden of the Other, not just my own, and for that I am truly blessed and grateful because it brought out the good and the love in me



5 comments:

  1. In reading this article, it made me realize how we are being "enslaved" or claimed by the Other everyday through little things. When we are by ourselves walking along, maybe to get to a class, and here's Friend #1 who happen to see you, comes closer and started making a small conversation.. he has managed to hold you hostage. Because of course, you have to respond and engage in a conversation with him and not just ignore his greeting.

    Or when you are forced by our parents to attend this gathering with your extended relatives whom you don't even know and one of your distant cousins approach you and started a small talk. Maybe it pissed you off in the first place to have to come to this gathering but here you are, responding to this person who has stolen your attention. You gave a moment of your time to him because he has entrapped you to doing so.

    Or when a visitor comes unannounced in your house and yet you treat them like royalty because Filipinos are innately hospitable. Whoever the visitor is, we always do our best to make them feel comfortable. You, as the host, became a hostage in your own home because this Other has compelled, yet pleaded, you to serve him.

    And although we do have a choice, the freedom to ignore these people who surprisingly just come up to us.. we still have this feeling of being responsible for him. We respond, not because we'd feel pity or compassion to this person who approached us if we decide to ignore him; but rather, we respond because it is innate in is. It's not about "I" anymore. It's about how this other person made us feel vulnerable that compels us to answer to them. To be responsible for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Cara. I do agree with everything. And what is great about this vulnerability is that we respond in acts of goodness and love! :)

    -Steffie Castaneda (C)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can also be compared to the feeling of how parents feel whenever they see their children happy and successful. I think it's the most freeing experience for a parent to see their child graduate from school and eventually do well not only financially, but also in the fact that their responsibility to ensure their child's future has proved to be fruitful. They serve, not because of requirement but because it's revealed how the "I"'s needs and wants do not suffice anymore but are realized with a lived experience with the Other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your nice work Steffie:)
    I wanna say I really agree with you since I also have the same experience.
    My sister already graduated a college here and went back to Korea. When she was here, we used to spend time together as having small talks every night. After she left, we sometimes called and talked each other. But, when I had too busy to share my time with her due to a lot of papers and projects, I started feeling irritated when she called since I thought that that was a waste of time. Once I had a talk with her, however, I felt like all my stress caused by the school things had gone and more energy and positive things in me. I thought that I wasted my time and energy for her. Rather, it was always me who was given the power to go forward through that conversation. Like you said, "it does not seek to enslave you, but free you".

    Section A
    Siyeon Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Responsibilities can really choke us, most especially when we do not see the essence of why we do the things we do. Finals week is just around the corner and most of us are probably feeling lethargic from all the work we have to do. Most of us are probably counting the days before we are finally "free" and wishing that we can get through all our requirements without failing ourselves. Reading your blog made me realize that school work remains to be merely a burden if we forget the people who may someday benefit from all the effort we put into our studies. The thought of my family- only a few of the many people who inspires me to study harder- seized me. I am not doing all this for myself, I am doing this for them. Thank you and good luck on the last 2 weeks of school!

    ReplyDelete